Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day Camping!

This year for Mother's Day we did something kinda unconventional and went camping! It was such a blast. We went with our friends James and Stephanie and their two little girls-which was so much fun for Avery too. She even spent most of the night sleeping in the small tent with her friends. We went to Big Sur and camped in the redwoods--it was so gorgeous. We also happened upon a 75th anniversary celebration at a local state reserve-Point Lobos. The kids had an especially good time there enjoying the several activities designed just for kids--Avery's favorite was holding the snakes! We even got "anniversary" cake--YUM! We took a little hike down to the beautiful beach and hung out there for a while. Avery was excited to go back to camp and have a fire...she had been waiting several days to go camping with her friends in the woods and have a fire. A couple times she would say she was going to "Cancun"...she was meaning "camping"...it was cute. Anyway, we went back to camp and had a roaring fire and roasted marshmallows to have yummy s'mores with. There is a pic of me trying to melt my chocolate over the fire--eventually my hands got to warm, but I was applauded for my efforts in making the perfect s'more!! The next morning, Mother's Day, the boys made us a yummy buttermilk biscuit, sausage and egg breakfast--what lucky girls we are. Then, we went on a great hike and enjoyed some more awesome views of the ocean. Finally, on our way home, we stopped off at another beach for some last minute beach time--it was beautiful. We are in love with the Big Sur and Carmel area--can't wait to go back!
Click to play Camping in Big Sur
Create your own scrapbook - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox scrapbook

5 comments:

caitlinlee said...

It looks like you had a lot of fun! Very cute pictures, I can't believe you touched the snakes though! sick.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Avery is brave! I don't think either of my kids would have gotten close to a snake. The beach is beautiful. I can't wait to go camping!

Unknown said...

Looks like you had an amazing weekend. I'm jealous. Can't wait to go camping. We're going in two weeks. I'll post pics then. Love ya.

talonandanna said...

Love Camping! happy to hear & see that you had an enjoyable time. isn't it wonderful to be out in creation! avery is growing up more and more each time i see her photo. where does the time go?! hope all is well there. will catch up soon! :) love ya.a

Emily said...

AAAAAAAHHHHHH I miss California! I just wanted to jump in that water and SWIM! and hike and enjoy the green..... I hope you had some extra fun for me!