Monday, February 8, 2010

...more of the story...as promised! (part 2 of Wyatt's adoption story)



Let's start back a little...we had been working with an adoption agency in California since January 2008, and officially ready and on their books to adopt as of July 2008. Waiting, waiting, waiting...nothin'... So, when Johnny got a call from Pepsi in Salt Lake, asking him to come back and work for them...I said, "no way!" I didn't want to leave until we had a baby... it's a lot of work in the adoption world to move state to state...more and more paperwork, fingerprints, background checks, profile updates... However, Johnny was convinced that it was the best thing for our family...so we packed up and headed back to Utah. First things first, I had to find a house--a house that was ready for a baby. Once we did that, we immediately unpacked and put the house in order so we could have our homestudy updated and show that we are ready!...meanwhile, our lovely agency in Cali took us off of their books because we were "not ready"...in transit, homestudy not updated...I WAS TICKED!! We contracted with Children's Aid Society of Utah, the agency that helped us get Avery, and felt right away like we were back in the right place. So, in about October, we had our homestudy and fingerprints re-done... more waiting... In December we painted Avery's room and got new carpet...getting prepared. The first week in January I told Johnny we needed to paint the "baby" room--for a boy. He didn't say it, but he told me later, he was feeling bad for me--like I was loosin' it... My sweet hubby painted a beautiful room, put together a crib and changing table. We also pulled out the rocking "moose" I had bought in March 08 and put it together in the baby boy room. Keep in mind, we had no leads on getting a baby...but we now had Children's Aid on our side and I KNEW something was going to happen soon. Saturday, the 23rd of January, I was feeling sad...I told Johnny that I felt like it was time to have a baby in our home...turns out baby Wyatt was born that night --although we didn't have any idea about it until Monday January 25th. Sunday, the day before, I had gone into our storage room and gotten out the changing table pad...at this point, I kinda wondered if I was crazy...but something was telling me to get ready. Funny thing is, we were supposed to be out of town--but Johnny had been so busy with work,so we had decided to post-pone. Good thing we did--because we got the CALL OF A LIFETIME!! At about 11:30 Monday morning I thought about calling the agency--just to see if anything was happening--any new birthmoms... No, I thought to myself, if they have something, they will call. I got in the shower, rinsed off, threw my hair in a ponytail and was ready for the day...so I thought... Avery and I were about to make jello, when, at 12:30ish, the phone rang and it was Children's Aid...

"Janel, it's Shelley, we met with a birthmom this morning who had a baby boy on Saturday and is ready to place him for adoption and would like to meet you. Can you be at Ogden Regional Hospital at 3pm? If everything goes as planned, we will place this baby with you and Johnny today."

...to be continued...

3 comments:

KATE said...

Once again Janel, you have teary eyed! I love your cute family!

Full of Love said...

We are so happy for you and can't wait to meet him!

Carla said...

Your instincts were correct, Janel, something every good mother needs. Congratulations. I love you.